A employee for the World Health Organization (WHO) has been killed whereas driving a car transporting COVID-19 samples in Myanmar’s conflict-ridden Rakhine state, the United Nations (U.N.) confirmed on Tuesday. A Myanmar authorities well being employee was additionally injured within the incident.
The ambush occurred on a bridge close to the city of Minbya on Monday night whereas the pair have been driving from Sittwe, the capital of the Rakhine state, to Yangon, the nation’s largest metropolis, Agence-France-Presse reviews.
“The United Nations is deeply saddened to confirm that Mr Pyae Sone Win Maung, a personnel (driver) of the World Health Organization, has died after being wounded in a security incident in Minbya Township in Rakhine State on the evening of Monday 20th April 2020,” the U.N. confirmed in an announcement on Tuesday.
“WHO colleague was driving a marked UN vehicle from Sittwe to Yangon transporting COVID19 surveillance samples in support of the Ministry of Health and Sports. The United Nations is seeking further information on the circumstances of the incident.”
The space of battle has been in lockdown because of the ongoing civil struggle between Myanmar’s navy and Arakan Army rebels. Both the navy and insurgents have denied duty for the newest incident and have blamed one another, Reuters reviews.
Myanmar at the moment has at the least 119 confirmed COVID-19 circumstances, as of Tuesday, in line with Johns Hopkins University.
Earlier this month, the nation’s Ministry of Health and Sports imposed stricter lockdown measures on the seven townships within the nation with essentially the most variety of confirmed circumstances. They embrace South Okkalapa, Pabedan, Bahan, Mayangone, Insein, Shwe Pyi Thar and Hlaing Tharyar, The Myanmar Times reviews.
The COVID-19 virus, which was first reported in Wuhan, China, has contaminated greater than 2.4 million throughout the globe. Over 658,200 have recovered from an infection, whereas greater than 171,200 have died, as of Tuesday, in line with Johns Hopkins University.
The graphic beneath, offered by Statista, illustrates nations with essentially the most confirmed COVID-19 circumstances.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Advice on Using Face Coverings to Slow Spread of COVID-19
- CDC recommends carrying a material face protecting in public the place social distancing measures are tough to keep up.
- A easy material face protecting may help gradual the unfold of the virus by these contaminated and by those that don’t exhibit signs.
- Cloth face coverings may be usual from home goods. Guides are supplied by the CDC. (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html)
- Cloth face coverings needs to be washed recurrently. A washer will suffice.
- Practice secure removing of face coverings by not touching eyes, nostril, and mouth, and wash palms instantly after eradicating the protecting.
World Health Organization recommendation for avoiding unfold of coronavirus illness (COVID-19)
- Clean palms continuously with cleaning soap and water, or alcohol-based hand rub.
- Wash palms after coughing or sneezing; when caring for the sick; earlier than, throughout and after meals preparation; earlier than consuming; after utilizing the bathroom; when palms are visibly soiled; and after dealing with animals or waste.
- Maintain at the least 1 meter (3 toes) distance from anybody who’s coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your palms, nostril and mouth. Do not spit in public.
- Cover your mouth and nostril with a tissue or bent elbow when coughing or sneezing. Discard the tissue instantly and clear your palms.
- Avoid shut contact with others when you have any signs.
- Stay at residence in case you really feel unwell, even with gentle signs akin to headache and runny nostril, to keep away from potential unfold of the illness to medical amenities and different individuals.
- If you develop severe signs (fever, cough, issue respiration) search medical care early and get in touch with native well being authorities prematurely.
- Note any latest contact with others and journey particulars to offer to authorities who can hint and stop unfold of the illness.
- Stay updated on COVID-19 developments issued by well being authorities and observe their steerage.
Mask and glove utilization
- Healthy people solely have to put on a masks if caring for a sick individual.
- Masks are efficient when utilized in mixture with frequent hand cleansing.
- Do not contact the masks whereas carrying it. Clean palms in case you contact the masks.
- Learn the best way to correctly placed on, take away and eliminate masks. Clean palms after disposing of the masks.
- Do not reuse single-use masks.
- Regularly washing naked palms is more practical towards catching COVID-19 than carrying rubber gloves.
- The COVID-19 virus can nonetheless be picked up on rubber gloves and transmitted by touching your face.